>
YAMAHA
STRINGS
SS-30
RACK-MOUNTED WITH MIDI
MIDI STRINGS

Friday, June 01, 2018

Now with MIDI!

Last September I may have mentioned that the SS-30M is now functional. That's to say, the MIDI interface is fully wired up and it works. Mission accomplished! Err, well, the MIDI part is.

Shortly after that milestone the nights closed in and all work ceased. But I did say there would be a video of it all working. Well, I'm pleased to say that this May Day bank holiday weekend the weather has been as sweet and warm as a the sound of an analogue synthesiser. With my usual trepidation I powered up the old monster and was glad to hear it was all working as before. Well, almost. The highest A sharp was pulsing on and off because a transistor had been pushed over and was shorting. And the Violin section only works if the Orchestra section is on, but that's just a bit of a bother with the switch.

Here then is a short bit of unrehearsed and barely thought through keyboard playing. The Yamaha PSS-580 is the MIDI keyboard.


Wow, eh?

Well, I will think of some more interesting things to play on it, but you get the idea. It works!

I also had time to measure the current on the +15V rail. It seems that I will be able to use the existing supply for the MIDI interface too! Hooray! I have another post in the draft folder all about how to have the power supply in a separate unit. Hang on to your hats!



No comments :